Built in 1914, the Dairy Barn was originally part of the Athens Lunatic Asylum and a working dairy farm providing fresh milk to the patients at the center. In 1977, it became The Dairy Barn Arts Center and is now a respected art center at the regional, national, and international level. RVC Architects has provided professional services and has donated both time and materials to the art center since its inception.
Renovations completed by RVC Architects have included interior upgrades to the 6,500 sf gallery, weatherization, roof renovations and exterior lighting. In 2000, as an essential component of the renewal of The Dairy Barn, a 2,240 sf addition which included a new gift shop, entry, elevator and storage area, and the development of the second floor (7,296 sf) for use as a multi-purpose dance/performance studio and classrooms. Community meeting area, offices and a resources center was also constructed. This new 2nd century phase (5,120 sf) will include a catering kitchen, multipurpose room, gift shop, define the point of entry, and create 21,230 sf parking lot.